PLE and PLEI
Personal Learning Environments (PLE) are systems that help learners take control of and manage their own learning. This includes providing support for learners to:
- set their own learning goals ( with support of their teachers)
- manage their learning, both content and process
- communicate with others in the process of learning
Personal learning environments (PLE) / Learning management systems (LMS) and Interactive classrooms
European schools at present show a teacher centric classroom with teachers using technology, interactive whiteboards and LMS systems. While the actual trend goes to towards student centred learning where all students have access to devices, digital content and software in a personalised way.
Research indicates that interactive classrooms need the support of ICT personal learning environments in order to provide participatory learning in a student centric way.
By marrying the principles of personalised learning with the tools of technology some educators believe that they have the chance to create the kind of customized learning environment that can finally break schools out of industrial age model of education to bring the true 21st century school reform.
- A personalised learning environment increases the students’ motivation and creates a learning situation where they can control their own learning at their own pace.
- It allows students to actively in design their own learning strategies
- PLE enables better contact between student/teacher, and the education is less teacher-centred.
- PLE and modern technology together create a customised learning environment that suits the development of the 21st century classroom.
- The technology of today makes it possible to create PLE solutions which are developed to suit the demands from both teachers and students.
- PLE in combination with technical tools increase the students’ interest in STEM subjects, which is important as there is a growing demand in STEM related professions.
- The young generation of today primarily learn by being interactive. This requires interactive classrooms with personalized ICT solutions.
PLEI – PLE in IMAILE Project
The Personal Learning Environment is a system allowing connecting students, teachers, school managers, tutors, families and the wider community by means of open and commercial ICT solutions inside and outside the school facilities, supporting lifelong learning, enabling students to control and define its own learning processes under the mentoring of the teacher.
Definition of IMAILE PLE
The IMAILE Personal Learning Environment (PLE) for STEM is an adaptive, accessible, and easy to use solution providing smart services for the realization of personalized learning including individualized learning paths, support of different learning strategies, and intelligent tutoring for primary and lower secondary schools. The IMAILE PLE for STEM shall offer a single access point to repositories of freely available learning content, learning apps, services and tools for STEM education through the application of open standards. Through the provision of own communication and collaboration functionalities and the integration with widely used social media pages, the IMAILE PLE enables students to learn, share and interact with their friends, teachers, and other stakeholders such as their parents. The IMAILE PLE supports bring your own device (BYOD) through the provision of a device and operating system independent solution, and lifelong learning through the integration of an ePortfolio solution. Overall, the IMAILE PLE for STEM provides a highly motivational environment for formal and informal STEM education.
How our PLE solution can support our teachers / students / schools in large?
- I. Average size of student group per teacher is 23 – 25
- II. 20- 30% of the students require personalized learning due to special needs , the number is expected to increase in a mid to long term perspective according WHO and pre term births and GLD ( General Learning Disabilities)
- III. Early drop outs starts often in primary education and among children with special needs
- IV. Science, Technology and especially Math are crucial topics in order to stimulate innovations in the future of Europe
Using a dialogue between demand and supply side we can tackle the challenges mentioned above. PCP is an instrument that enables this dialogue.